Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Latest Evangelism-Worthy Books

 

Louanne Brizendine blew me away and made me an annoyingly pest of my friends after reading The Female Brain in April.  I recommended it to all my (many) male colleagues with tween and teen daughters as well as anyone going through or supporting a spouse through menopause.  In addition I used many of the astonishing lab result finds to start (or stop) many a dinner conversation [e.g. did you know a mothering rat will choose the button that releases a suckling baby rat 100% of the time over the button that releases CRACK!?  the feel-good hormones released when nursing are a better high for the human-brain-hormone similar rats!].  Well, I figured The Male Brain would be similar but now-familiar fare since she often highlit the differences in males and females throughout Female.  Yet, once again, I was blown away by Brizendine's voice and data.  I planned to buy a copy for my sister who has a baby boy when I was in the first chapter.  Then I read the Teen chapter, followed by Mating, Parenting and Retirement chapters and the epiphanies kept rolling in.  So in the end I purchased one for myself and both my siblings and have started a new evangelization compaign for this captivating book.  It's non-fiction which I rarely deign to read, but it reads like a narrative, is short (1/2 of the book is just reference material) and divides topics easily into 5 life-stage chapters.  It is emminently readable, and hopefully for others - awesome.  Super-highly-hyperbolically recommended!  These two were probably my favorite books of the year so far (and I've read some great ones this year!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment